Created: April 10, 2013
Last Updated: October 23, 2015
respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy. This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website GeneralSmut.com (“Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, keeping, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website (including desktop and mobile versions).
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
- When you interact with our advertising on third-party websites and services, if the advertising include links to this policy.
- When you interact with this Website through third-party social media platforms.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from (or on) the Website.
We do not intend this Website for minors. The Website limits access to adults’ at least 18-years old that have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction. We prohibit all persons who do not meet the age requirements from accessing this Website. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from or about minors, and minors may not access this Website or use its services.
Under 47 U.S.C. § 230(d), we notify you that parental control protections (including computer hardware, software, or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. You may find information about providers of these protections on the Internet by searching “parental control protection” or similar terms. If minors have access to your computer, please restrain their access to sexually explicit material by using any of the following products provided for informational purposes only and not endorsed by us: CYBERsitter™ | Net Nanny® | CyberPatrol | ASACP.
Information we collect from users
The Website is a free service for surfers that does not require registration or the submission of any personal information to use the Website. We offer free registration to the Website; registration is required to upload content. If you decide to register, we may require you to provide your email address.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties. Your user contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your user contributions. Thus, we cannot and do not guarantee that your user contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information we collect through social media
We may allow you to engage with the Website’s content and other offerings on or through third-party social media websites, like Facebook® and Twitter®. If we do, when you link your account or engage with content on or through third-party social media websites, services, plugins, or applications, you may allow us to have ongoing access to certain information from your social media account. We may also receive nonpersonally identifiable information from your interaction with the Website’s content, including content viewed, content preferences, and information about any advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on.
If you interact with this Website through social media websites, plugins, or other applications, then, depending on your privacy settings, this information may become public on the Internet. You acknowledge that we cannot prevent further use of this information once it becomes public on the Internet. You can control what data you share through privacy settings available on some social media websites. For more information about how you can customize your privacy settings and how third-party social media websites handle your personally identifiable information, please refer to their privacy help guides, privacy policies, and terms.
Information we collect about usage
We collect certain nonpersonally identifiable information when you access the Website. For example, we may collect information on the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using, the domain name of your Internet service provider, IP address, and certain usage information including the locations of the webpages that you viewed right before arriving at, while navigating, and immediately after leaving the Website, and the convent viewed while accessing the Website (including any up votes and down votes).
Information we collect from mobile devices
Information we collect from other sources
We collect information about you:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the Website. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies (including login details and voting and viewing history), web beacons, and other tracking technologies. We do not collect personal information automatically.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may keep it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by allowing us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies, but you can access your Flash management tools from Adobe’s website.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website (and our emails) may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit , for example, to count users who have visited those pages (or opened an email) and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity). If you want to learn more about web beacons, please see www.allaboutcookies.org/web-beacons/.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
We may use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To suggest and recommend relevant content based on your viewing or voting history.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To notify you about changes to our Website, Website news or announcements, special offers, or any products or services we offer or provide through the Website.
- To allow you to participate in any interactive features on our Website (including the voting system).
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may disclose aggregated information about you, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of ’s assets, whether as a going concerning or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by about the Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of , our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and prevention.
We strive to provide you with choices about the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Marketing communications. At this time, we do not intend to send users advertising or marketing materials. If we do in the future, you can opt-out by (1) following the “unsubscribe” instructions in any marketing email you receive from us or (2) sending us an email at to request removal from future email distributions. This opt-out does not apply to transactional emails, including service announcements and administrative notices.
You may send us an email at to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We will not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, change, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information over the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that you can set in your browser. DNT is a way for you to inform websites and services that you do not want certain information about your webpage visits collected over time and across websites or online services. We are committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information we collect and that is why we provide you the ability to opt-out. But we do not recognize or respond to any DNT signals as the Internet industry works toward defining exactly what DNT means, what it means to comply with DNT, and a common approach to responding to DNT. For more information about DNT signals, you may visit www.allaboutdnt.com.
Any personal information collected about EU visitors through the services is processed in the United States or in other countries in which we or our affiliates, subsidiaries, or service providers host these services. When you provide personal information to us through the services, you consent to the processing of your data in, and the transfer of your data to, the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates, subsidiaries, or service providers host these services.
If you are a California resident, you have the right to receive (1) information identifying any third-party company to whom we may have disclosed, within the past calendar year, personal information concerning you and your family for our direct marketing purposes; and (2) a description of the categories of personal information disclosed. If you want to exercise this right, you must make a request in writing to us to obtain this information. We will not process your request unless it includes your full name, email address, postal address, the URL for the website you visited, and the subject line labeled “Your California Privacy Rights.” Please email your request to . We will only honor one request per calendar year.
We comply with Canadian Federal and Provincial privacy laws and regulations including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
Residents of Canada are notified that the personal information they provide to us is stored in our databases outside of Canada including in the United States and may be subject to disclosure to authorized law enforcement or government agencies in response to lawful demand under the laws of that country.
If you need to contact us about your personal information or believe that we have violated your privacy rights, please email us at . You may visit www.priv.gc.ca for more information about your privacy rights.
This Website complies with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. If you reasonably believe your copyrighted work has been used or posted by a third party without your consent, you may follow the instructions here on how to report it.
By submitting a copyright infringement notice or other communication (including communications about content stored on or transmitted through the Website), you consent to have these communications forwarded to the person or entity who stored, transmitted, or linked to the content addressed by your communication, in order to facilitate a prompt resolution. We forward DMCA infringement notices (including any personally identifying information contained in the notices) as submitted to us without any deletions.